PLAB Test & Purpose?
- The Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board test, known as the PLAB test, is a licensure exam to validate the doctors who qualified abroad have the right knowledge and skills to practise medicine in the UK.
- The PLAB test will check that you know and can do the same as a doctor starting the second year of their Foundation Programme training in the UK.
Who has to take the PLAB test?
- Graduate from a medical school outside of the UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland need to take the PLAB test.
How the PLAB test conducted?
- PLAB Part 1: written multiple-choice exam, with 180 single best answer questions (PLAB 1 is a written exam made up of 180 multiple choice questions which you must answer within three hours. Each starts with a short scenario followed by a question. You need to choose the right answer out of the five possible answers given).
- PLAB Part 2: practical objective structured clinical exam, known as an OSCE. You’ll need to pass both parts before you can apply for registration with a licence to practise medicine in the UK (PLAB 2 is an objective structured clinical exam. It’s made up of 18 scenarios, each lasting eight minutes and aims to reflect real-life settings including a mock consultation or an acute ward).
Prerequisites before you can take PLAB?
- Step1: Need to set up a GMC Online account.
- Step 2: Verify that your medical qualification and knowledge of English are acceptable.
- Step 3: Book your place on part 1 of the PLAB test.
What is the next step after you’ve passed PLAB part 1 and PLAB part 2?
- When you pass both parts (PLAB part 1 and PLAB part 2): you can apply for registration with a licence to practise.
- Your application must be approved within two years of passing part 2 of the test.
- Once the board approves your application and you gain registration you can work as a doctor in the UK.
- PLAB Part 1 application & Test day
- PLAB Part 1 results & related
- Eligibility for PLAB Part 1
- English requirement for PLAB Part 1
- Guidelines to prepare for PLAB Part 1
- PLAB Part 2 application & Test day
- PLAB Part 2 Results & Related
- Guidelines to prepare for PLAB Part 2
- What do you need to know about the PLAB test?