FMGE aspirant’s Paradox:
- The market is bombarded with a massive number of books, study materials, videos, question banks & Apps in Anesthesia however most of the FMGE Aspirants are not guided “How to prepare Anesthesia for FMGE?” by utilizing these study aids.
- In this post, we provide you the complete plan to prepare Anesthesia with the least effort.
The strategy of effective preparation of Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Know your challenger (FMGE): Know your FMGE syllabus + FMGE pattern + high yield & latest trends in the FMGE
- Know your self: Identify your learning profile, academic strengths, and weaknesses.
- Strategize a time-efficient study plan (Reading/Comprehension + revision/discussion + tests & time management).
- Examination taking Skills to be developed:
- Approach to MCQs: Conceptualization → Analysis → Recall ability (Increase your recall ability) → reasoning
- Confidence & accuracy: Increase your confidence + accuracy in answer selection during the tests.
- Handling the software
- Time management/MCQs
Know the updated FMGE syllabus of Anesthesia prescribed by MCI India:
- Anatomy of the upper airway.
- Physiology of Respiration O2/CO2 transport.
- Methods of oxygen therapy.
- Pre-operative evaluation/pre-medication.
- Anaesthetic agents, stages of Anaesthesia.
- Principles and mechanisms of administration of general anesthetic & balanced Anaesthesia.
- IPPV & Endotracheal Intubations.
- Muscle Relaxants.
- Spinal/Epidural Anesthesia.
- Local Anesthesia.
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation basic & use of simple ventilators.
- ICU &the roles of anaesthesiologist in ICU.
- Blood Transfusion and Fluid Electoral Balance.
- Sites of respiratory obstruction and management of the airway in an unconscious patient.
- Role of anaesthesiologist in acute and chronic relief.
Read More about the new syllabus ↓
Analyze the mark distribution + High Yield Topics for FMGE: Important Topics in Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
Read More about the High Yields of 19 Subjects ↓
Choose the best materials for the preparation of Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
Appropriate & good study materials are the most essential component of any exam preparation.
- Reading theory: systematically prepared NBE centric materials.
- Revision materials: organize your revision notes or acquire some specialized revision materials (QRS for FMGE) exclusively for the revision purpose (should be used parallel with the reading materials & for the revision later).
- MCQs: Practice tests in the latest pattern & Past papers (NBE including FMGE & DNB).
- Avoid using multiple & unfamiliar materials to prevent confusion, delay in preparation & make your revision easy + effective.
Grab the Best Study Materials for the FMGE 2021 ↓
Recommended books to prepare Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Quick review series: Anesthesia for FMGE/NEXT by Varsha Kharab, A.Preethi Rajsri & Deepesh Manoharan
- Anesthesia Essence by Pritesh Singh & Usica Chandan.
Read More ↓
Realistic Schedule / Timetable to prepare Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Success demands self-discipline, steady commitment, and a sense of humor, therefore construct your schedule so that you intersperse serious times with fun times.
- Develop your personal schedule so that you can create a realistic study plan based on:
- Time of the day or night are you most alert?
- Your preference for large blocks of study time or hourly increments.
- How much sleep do you need?
- Duration of the breaks & the activities you seek when you take a break.
- The very important point to be emphasized: This schedule is not strict/rigid & should be modified according to your happy hours + convenience & high energy slots, however, you need to adhere to an organized study schedule from 9 m to 5 pm daily because this time frame is during which the FMGE will be conducted.
- Self-discipline: Success is not possible without strict adherence to the schedule.
Read More ↓
Effective time management to prepare Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Chunking: break down a single task with large blocks with long hours into actionable bitesize (divide time slots with content to be covered with guilt-free breaks).
- Study duration/day: 10-14 hours (Be aware that only 2/3 of the total scheduled time shall be effectively utilized for preparing).
Read More ↓
Strategy depending on the weightage/difficulty of the chapters/topics of Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Strengths vs weaknesses: Appreciate your strengths, and identify your weaknesses, so that you can fill up the gaps in your knowledge.
- Highly yield subjects, chapters & topics should be given more importance.
- The time you spend per subject depends upon:
- Your basic knowledge in the subject (Cover weak areas first → go to your stronger areas→ returning at the end of your entire review to those subjects you once considered your weak areas).
- Tougher subjects/topics first → easier ones later.
- Plan to spend more time on those subjects that gave you trouble, and less time on your strong subjects.
Read More ↓
Suggested Schedule with Time Distribution to Prepare Anesthesia for FMGE 2021
|The schedule is not rigid & you can adjust the distribution of the hours based on your knowledge per the chapter:|
- This schedule is devised for those who prepare for 5-6 months before the exam, therefore, you shall customize this schedule as per your comfort & level of knowledge you have on the appropriate subject or chapter.
- Plan to spend more time on those subjects/chapters that gave you trouble, and less time on your strong subjects/chapters.
- Highly yield subjects/topics should be given more importance & time.
|General Anesthesia||4 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Regional Anesthesia||5 hrs||3 hrs||3 hrs|
|Choice of Anesthesia, Anesthesia for Special Circumstances||5 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Airway Management & EM||6 hrs||3 hrs||3 hrs|
| ||20 hrs||10 hrs||10 hrs|
Create your own notes to prepare Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Nothing can replace a good set of your own notes, therefore creating your own text is one of the main goals of note-taking.
- Writing short notes will help you to excel in the exam by improving your memorizing power.
- It’s proved to be very helpful in quick revision strategy preceding the exam days.
Read More ↓
Revise Anesthesia effectively for FMGE 2021:
- Revision is the key to recall (revise all the older topics in the last 1-2 months & try to avoid reading any new topics before).
- Full understanding and knowledge can grow deeper with persistence, routine, and practice.
- Revise all topics regularly (5 revisions will be optimal but minimum 3 revisions are essential).
Read More ↓
Practice tests regularly & attempt mock tests while preparing Anesthesia for FMGE 2021:
- Practice tests regularly aid in the following:
- Diagnose your competence (strengths and weaknesses) in the subjects & exam-taking skills for FMGE.
- To maximize your efficiency of learning (70/20/10 Model of Lombardo and Eichinger) during your FMGE preparation.
- To practice time management (speed) in FMGE.
- To improve accuracy & increase the confidence level in FMGE.
- To desensitize the exam anxiety (increase the familiarity with the online platform) in FMGE.
Read More ↓
- Chapter-wise/subject wise/Module-wise practice tests.
- Previous years (FMGE MCQs + NBE MCQs) Question Papers: must practice on a regular basis (Read more about the Reasons to practice past papers).
- Attempt FMGE mock tests regularly to boost your confidence level, sharpen accuracy & aid in time management.
- The optimal number of mocks/week: 2 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be Optimal however a minimum of 1 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be required.
- What to start practicing the mocks? Start practicing mock exams as early as possible otherwise at least 6-8 weeks before your exam.
Grab the Best Qbank for the FMGE 2021 ↓
Resources to prepare Anesthesia:
Also Read About How to Prepare the Inter-related Subjects:
- How to Prepare Pharmacology for the FMGE?
- How to Prepare Surgery for the FMGE?