FMGE aspirant’s Paradox:
- The market is bombarded with a massive number of books, study materials, videos, question banks & Apps in Physiology however most of the FMGE Aspirants are not guided “How to prepare Physiology for FMGE?” by utilizing these study aids.
- In this post, we provide you the complete plan to prepare Physiology with the least effort.
The strategy of effective preparation of Physiology for FMGE:
- Know your challenger (FMGE): Know your FMGE syllabus + FMGE pattern + high yield & latest trends in the FMGE
- Know yourself: Identify your learning profile, academic strengths, and weaknesses.
- Strategize a time-efficient study plan (Reading/Comprehension + revision/discussion + tests & time management).
- Examination taking Skills to be developed:
- Approach to MCQs: Conceptualization → Analysis → Recall ability (Increase your recall ability) → reasoning
- Confidence & accuracy: Increase your confidence + accuracy in answer selection during the tests.
- Handling the software
- Time management/MCQs
Know the updated FMGE syllabus of Physiology prescribed by MCI India:
- General Physiology.
- Body fluids – Blood.
- Nerve and Muscle.
- Gastrointestinal Tract.
- Urinary tract.
- Skin and Body temperature.
- Endocrine Glands.
- Cardiovascular System.
- Respiratory System.
- Central Nervous Systems.
- Special Senses.
Analyze the mark distribution + High Yield Topics for FMGE: Important Topics in Physiology for FMGE 2022:
Choose the best materials for the preparation of Physiology for FMGE:
Appropriate & good study materials are the most essential component of any exam preparation.
- Reading theory: systematically prepared NBE centric materials.
- Revision materials: organize your revision notes or acquire some specialized revision materials (QRS for FMGE) exclusively for the revision purpose (should be used parallel with the reading materials & for the revision later).
- MCQs: Practice tests in the latest pattern & Past papers (NBE including FMGE & DNB).
- Avoid using multiple & unfamiliar materials to prevent confusion, delay in preparation & make your revision easy + effective.
Recommended books to prepare Physiology for FMGE:
- Quick review series: Physiology for FMGE/NEXT by Prem Balaguru & P.Harinath.
- Review of Physiology (PGMEE) by Soumen Manna.
- Complete Review of Integrated Systems Physiology by S Krishna Kumar.
Realistic Schedule / Timetable to prepare Physiology for FMGE:
- Success demands self-discipline, steady commitment, and a sense of humor, therefore construct your schedule so that you intersperse serious times with fun times.
- Develop your personal schedule so that you can create a realistic study plan based on:
- Time of the day or night are you most alert?
- Your preference for large blocks of study time or hourly increments.
- How much sleep do you need?
- Duration of the breaks & the activities you seek when you take a break.
- The very important point to be emphasized: This schedule is not strict/rigid & should be modified according to your happy hours + convenience & high energy slots, however, you need to adhere to an organized study schedule from 9 m to 5 pm daily because this time frame is during which the FMGE will be conducted.
- Self-discipline: Success is not possible without strict adherence to the schedule.
Effective time management to prepare Physiology for FMGE:
- Chunking: break down a single task with large blocks with long hours into actionable bitesize (divide time slots with content to be covered with guilt-free breaks).
- Study duration/day: 10-14 hours (Be aware that only 2/3 of the total scheduled time shall be effectively utilized for preparing).
Strategy depending on the weightage/difficulty of the chapters/topics of Physiology for FMGE 2022:
- Strengths vs weaknesses: Appreciate your strengths, and identify your weaknesses, so that you can fill up the gaps in your knowledge.
- Highly yield subjects, chapters & topics should be given more importance.
- The time you spend per subject depends upon:
- Your basic knowledge in the subject (Cover weak areas first → go to your stronger areas→ returning at the end of your entire review to those subjects you once considered your weak areas).
- Tougher subjects/topics first → easier ones later.
- Plan to spend more time on those subjects that gave you trouble, and less time on your strong subjects.
Suggested Schedule with Time Distribution to Prepare Physiology for FMGE
|The schedule is not rigid & you can adjust the distribution of the hours based on your knowledge per the chapter:
|General & Nerve-muscles||4 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Nervous system||5 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Hematology & CVS||5 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Respiratory system||3 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|GIT||4 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Excretory System||3 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Endocrine system||2 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Reproductive system||2 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Exercise & metabolism||2 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|30 hrs||Around 10||Around 10|
Create your own notes to prepare Physiology for FMGE:
- Nothing can replace a good set of your own notes, therefore creating your own text is one of the main goals of note-taking.
- Writing short notes will help you to excel in the exam by improving your memorizing power.
- It’s proved to be very helpful in quick revision strategy preceding the exam days.
Revise Physiology effectively for FMGE:
- Revision is the key to recall (revise all the older topics in the last 1-2 months & try to avoid reading any new topics before).
- Full understanding and knowledge can grow deeper with persistence, routine, and practice.
- Revise all topics regularly (5 revisions will be optimal but minimum 3 revisions are essential).
Practice tests regularly & attempt mock tests while preparing Physiology for FMGE:
- Practice tests regularly aid in the following:
- Diagnose your competence (strengths and weaknesses) in the subjects & exam-taking skills for FMGE.
- To maximize your efficiency of learning (70/20/10 Model of Lombardo and Eichinger) during your FMGE preparation.
- To practice time management (speed) in FMGE.
- To improve accuracy & increase the confidence level in FMGE.
- To desensitize the exam anxiety (increase the familiarity with the online platform) in FMGE.
- Tests to be practiced:
- Chapter-wise/subject wise/Module-wise practice tests.
- Previous years (FMGE MCQs + NBE MCQs) Question Papers: must practice on a regular basis (Read more about the Reasons to practice past papers).
- Attempt FMGE mock tests regularly to boost your confidence level, sharpen accuracy & aid in time management.
- The optimal number of mocks/week: 2 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be Optimal however a minimum of 1 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be required.
- What to start practicing the mocks? Start practicing mock exams as early as possible otherwise at least 6-8 weeks before your exam.
Resources to prepare Physiology:
- DMA’s “FIRE AIDS” Compact Revision Based on the QRS for FMGE/NEXT of Physiology: