Laboratory Diagnostics syllabus in China
- The contemporary development of science and technology has made laboratory diagnostics an unavoidable segment of modern medicine.
- Laboratory diagnostics is a starting point in discovering illness, finding its treatment, and monitoring and curing a sick person.
- The field of laboratory diagnostics deals with an examination of the blood and other body fluids, to collect data involving their clinical chemistry, coagulation, clinical immunology and clinical microbiology etc.
- The data are used for the diagnosis and management of illness and for the investigation of the mechanisms and pathogenesis of the disease.
- Case studies:
- The significant and common diseases are discussed in the form of a representative clinical case in which the clinical features, the course of the disease in those particular patients, and relevant laboratory investigations are discussed by a clinical faculty in an interactive manner in small groups.
- This is followed by a demonstration of the features of the disease in that case by the supervisor.
- Didactical lectures: discussing a particular topic at length in a one to two hours lecture
- By a combination of all kinds of modalities/tools, the student learns applied aspects of the disease diagnosis.
Teaching hours distribution
|Outline of hematology and basic blood hematology tests||4||3|
|Cytological study of bone marrow||2|
|Studies for hemorrhage, thrombus, hemostasis||4|
|Laboratory diagnosis of blood diseases||4|
|Cerebrospinal fluid and serous effusion studies||1|
|Tests for glucose metabolism||3||3|
|Blood fats tests||3|
|Routine tests of hepatic diseases||3|
|Nephropathy tests in a laboratory||3||3|
|Biochemistry marker of the myocardial damage tests||3|
|Examine the functions of the immune system||3||3|
|Diagnostic tests of infective immunity||3|
|Examines for autoimmune diseases||3|
|Routine items used in clinical microbiology||2|
|Microbiology examines of routine clinical specimens||2||3|
|Hospital infection and management||2|
Examination pattern & marks distribution
- Theory Papers: Fill in the blanks, explain the terms, answer the questions, multiple choices, T or F questions, etc.
- Written examination: Fill in the blanks and answer the questions.
Sample Exam Questions
- A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Test, 7th Edition, Frances T Fischbach RN. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Publisher, 2003