FMGE aspirant’s Paradox:
- The market is bombarded with a massive number of books, study materials, videos, question banks & Apps in Forensic Medicine (FMT/FM) however most of the FMGE Aspirants are not guided “How to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM) ?” by utilizing these study aids.
- In this post, we provide you the complete plan to prepare Forensic Medicine with the least effort.
The strategy of effective preparation of Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
- Know your challenger (FMGE): Know your FMGE syllabus + FMGE pattern + high yield & latest trends in the FMGE
- Know your self: Identify your learning profile, academic strengths, and weaknesses.
- Strategize a time-efficient study plan (Reading/Comprehension + revision/discussion + tests & time management).
- Examination taking Skills to be developed:
- Approach to MCQs: Conceptualization → Analysis → Recall ability (Increase your recall ability) → reasoning
- Confidence & accuracy: Increase your confidence + accuracy in answer selection during the tests.
- Handling the software
- Time management/MCQs
Know the updated FMGE syllabus of Forensic Medicine (FMT/FM) prescribed by MCI India:
- Courts of India
- Court procedures
- Medical Certifications & medico-legal reports including dying declaration
- Death 6. Changes after death
- Inquest by police, magistrate and coroner
- Examination of mutilated human remains
- Medico-legal autopsies
- Mechanical injuries and wounds
- Examination of an injury case
- Injuries due to physical agents & their medico-legal importance
- Asphyxial death
- Death due to malnutrition, neglect battered babies
- Dowry death
- Virginity, sexual offenses & sexual perversions
- Pregnancy and delivery
- Biological fluids
- Seminal stains
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Medical Jurisprudence
Read More about the new syllabus ↓
Analyze the mark distribution + High Yield Topics for FMGE: Important Topics in FMT (Forensic Medicine/FM) for FMGE 2022:
Read More about the High Yields of 19 Subjects ↓
Choose the best materials for the preparation of Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
Appropriate & good study materials are the most essential component of any exam preparation.
- Reading theory: systematically prepared NBE centric materials.
- Revision materials: organize your revision notes or acquire some specialized revision materials (QRS for FMGE) exclusively for the revision purpose (should be used parallel with the reading materials & for the revision later).
- MCQs: Practice tests in the latest pattern & Past papers (NBE including FMGE & DNB).
- Avoid using multiple & unfamiliar materials to prevent confusion, delay in preparation & make your revision easy + effective.
Grab the Best Study Materials for the FMGE 2022 ↓
Recommended books to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
- Quick review series: PSM for FMGE/NEXT by Preethi Mithun & A.Balaji.
- Review of Preventive & Social Medicine by Vivek Jain.
Realistic Schedule / Timetable to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMGE/FM):
- Success demands self-discipline, steady commitment, and a sense of humor, therefore construct your schedule so that you intersperse serious times with fun times.
- Develop your personal schedule so that you can create a realistic study plan based on:
- Time of the day or night are you most alert?
- Your preference for large blocks of study time or hourly increments.
- How much sleep do you need?
- Duration of the breaks & the activities you seek when you take a break.
- The very important point to be emphasized: This schedule is not strict/rigid & should be modified according to your happy hours + convenience & high energy slots, however, you need to adhere to an organized study schedule from 9 m to 5 pm daily because this time frame is during which the FMGE will be conducted.
- Self-discipline: Success is not possible without strict adherence to the schedule.
Effective time management to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
- Chunking: break down a single task with large blocks with long hours into actionable bitesize (divide time slots with content to be covered with guilt-free breaks).
- Study duration/day: 10-14 hours (Be aware that only 2/3 of the total scheduled time shall be effectively utilized for preparing).
Strategy depending on the weightage/difficulty of the chapters/topics of Forensic Medicine (FMT/FM) for FMGE:
- Strengths vs weaknesses: Appreciate your strengths, and identify your weaknesses, so that you can fill up the gaps in your knowledge.
- Highly yield subjects, chapters & topics should be given more importance.
- The time you spend per subject depends upon:
- Your basic knowledge in the subject (Cover weak areas first → go to your stronger areas→ returning at the end of your entire review to those subjects you once considered your weak areas).
- Tougher subjects/topics first → easier ones later.
- Plan to spend more time on those subjects that gave you trouble, and less time on your strong subjects.
Suggested Schedule with Time Distribution to Prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM)
|The schedule is not rigid & you can adjust the distribution of the hours based on your knowledge per the chapter:
|FM & Law||3 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|Medicolegal Aspect of Death||4 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Sexual offenses & related||3 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Injuries||4 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Toxicology||4 hrs||2 hrs||2 hrs|
|Others||2 hrs||1 hr||1 hr|
|20 hrs||10 hrs||10 hrs|
Create your own notes to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
- Nothing can replace a good set of your own notes, therefore creating your own text is one of the main goals of note-taking.
- Writing short notes will help you to excel in the exam by improving your memorizing power.
- It’s proved to be very helpful in quick revision strategy preceding the exam days.
Revise Forensic Medicine (FMT/FM) effectively for FMGE:
- Revision is the key to recall (revise all the older topics in the last 1-2 months & try to avoid reading any new topics before).
- Full understanding and knowledge can grow deeper with persistence, routine, and practice.
- Revise all topics regularly (5 revisions will be optimal but minimum 3 revisions are essential).
Practice tests regularly & attempt mock tests while preparing Forensic Medicine (FMT/FM) for FMGE:
- Practice tests regularly aid in the following:
- Diagnose your competence (strengths and weaknesses) in the subjects & exam-taking skills for FMGE.
- To maximize your efficiency of learning (70/20/10 Model of Lombardo and Eichinger) during your FMGE preparation.
- To practice time management (speed) in FMGE.
- To improve accuracy & increase the confidence level in FMGE.
- To desensitize the exam anxiety (increase the familiarity with the online platform) in FMGE.
- Tests to be practiced:
- Chapter-wise/subject wise/Module-wise practice tests.
- Previous years (FMGE MCQs + NBE MCQs) Question Papers: must practice on a regular basis (Read more about the Reasons to practice past papers).
- Attempt FMGE mock tests regularly to boost your confidence level, sharpen accuracy & aid in time management.
- The optimal number of mocks/week: 2 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be Optimal however a minimum of 1 full-length FMGE mocks/week will be required.
- When to start practicing the mocks? Start practicing mock exams as early as possible otherwise at least 6-8 weeks before your exam.
Grab the Best Qbank for the FMGE 2022 ↓
Resources to prepare Forensic Medicine for FMGE (FMT/FM):
- DMA’s “FIRE AIDS” Compact Revision Based on the QRS for FMGE/NEXT of Forensic Medicine (FMT):