- Reasons Why Aspirants fail to clear FMGE? Why the passing percentage is very less in the FMGE? Why Are Indian Doctors Failing FMGE/MCI screening test? are some of the common questions that pop up in many QA platforms & forums for FMGE.
- The social media & QA platforms are bombarded with biased answers for this very question by the Proxys of the universities & consultants who have their own agenda leading to chaos among the Foreign medical graduates whom to believe? & what guidelines to be followed?
- It’s wise to emphasize that there are >20 active FMGE coaching institutes in India & abroad & >65% of FMGE aspirants joined any of the coaching institutes at least 1 time however even with multiple attempts of the aspirants the average FMGE pass percentage is below 25%, Alarms us to analyze the reasons of the low FMGE pass percentage with a different viewpoint.
- Usually, the reason for not qualifying for the MCI screening test is analyzed superficially, however, a careful approach is necessary to dissect this issue from 3 angles (Students’ angle, University’s angle & Coaching center’s angle) in order to provide the solutions for the FMGE aspirants to succeed in FMGE.
A. Reasons Why Aspirants fail to clear FMGE: Student’s Angle
|Undergraduate preparation related||FMGE preparation related|
|1. Lack of updated materials to acquire sound knowledge (Lacuna of knowledge):
2. Lack of strategy in learning & revision:
3. Lack of time management:
4. Lack of test practice & self-assessment:
|1. Curriculum gap (Lacuna of knowledge):
2. Insufficient guidance & minimal exposure to the international type of exams/FMGE:
3. Start to prepare late.
4. Test anxiety & escape behavior:
- Self-control & discipline related:
- Almost all Indian students are below 20 years old when they have been admitted to the MBBS/MD course in foreign countries & All these students were under the direct control & supervision of their families until they move out.
- From a psychological point of view, this “Age range is the most vulnerable” to be easily manipulated by the social/environmental cues where absolute guidance & supervision are essential in various aspects.
- Many of the students lose their Self-control & discipline due to the lack of familial support & proper guidance & supervision from the university side (Most of the universities are very lenient) leading to inappropriate behavior (non-compliance/laziness), living style (parties/alcohol/other addictions) & eventually leading to the loss of focus (Lack of motivation).
B. Reasons Why Aspirants fail to clear FMGE: University’s Angle (China, Russia & other CIS/Post-Soviet countries)
- Admission of students with suboptimal quality & poor motivation.
- Substandard teaching in English medium (especially in China & CIS).
- Unavailability of proficient faculties in the English medium (especially in China & CIS).
- Language barrier of the faculties.
- Unavailability/Limited availability of updated textbooks.
- Outdated curriculum.
- A less than desirable evaluation system (Zachiot/exams with a fixed set of questions in CIS, Open book exam & Exam review in China).
- Lack of discipline, strategy & guidance for learning.
- Lack of training in clinical skills & instrumentation (Multiple reasons including the language barrier, Unregulated practical sessions, Lack of interest among students & minor discrimination in very few countries/cities).
- Poor internship training & supervision (China).
- NB: The above-mentioned points are applicable to almost all of the universities in China, Russia & other CIS/Post-Soviet countries except for a very few ones. Philippines is relatively better however Universities of South Asia are providing education equivalent to the Indian standard.
C. Reasons Why Aspirants fail to clear FMGE: FMGE coaching center’s angle
- Mass mistakes 90% of conventional coaching:
- K: Student’s level of knowledge & capacity are not assessed.
- L: Personality type & learning styles are not assessed.
- D: No distributed learning (revision) & practice.
- P: No Individual attention & performance analysis + counseling.
- NB: Each of the FMGE aspirants is unique in his/her personality, learning pattern, level of knowledge & discrimination skills therefore it’s impossible to implement the same study plan & strategy to everyone without analyzing them individually.