- Russia is reputed for traditional medical education & outstanding research achievements since the 1800s.
- Russia was considered to be the most favorite destination for those who wish to study medicine abroad including Indian medical aspirants since the 1970s until China started catering to international students.
- This article is developed from the students’ & parents’ perspectives in order to shed some light on the grey areas of misconception about Russia by many.
Geopolitics & Culture of Russia
|Geography & related||
|Proximity to India|
Lifestyle & safety
|Availability of food & grocery||
Cost of living comparison (2022)
- The cost of living in Russia is slightly expensive when compared to India, but some cities like Moscow, St. Petersburg are quite expensive.
- We compared the prices of Chennai with Krasnodar city because both these cities are with an average living expenditure in their respective countries.
|Milk (regular), (1 liter)||48.66 ₹||68.10 ₹||+39.96 %|
|A loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g)||34.06 ₹||34.40 ₹||+1.00 %|
|Rice (white), (1kg)||53.31 ₹||71.15 ₹||+33.46 %|
|Eggs (regular) (12)||60.35 ₹||74.42 ₹||+23.32 %|
|Chicken Fillets (1kg)||218.24 ₹||247.78 ₹||+13.54 %|
|Apples (1kg)||157.76 ₹||80.06 ₹||-49.25 %|
|Banana (1kg)||59.73 ₹||72.73 ₹||+21.77 %|
|Oranges (1kg)||89.26 ₹||81.27 ₹||-8.96 %|
|Tomato (1kg)||31.98 ₹||116.94 ₹||+265.71 %|
|Potato (1kg)||36.62 ₹||34.02 ₹||-7.09 %|
|Onion (1kg)||38.83 ₹||33.07 ₹||-14.81 %|
|Water (1.5 liter bottle)||29.09 ₹||35.08 ₹||+20.62 %|
|One-way Ticket (Local Transport)||20.00 ₹||29.77 ₹||+48.83 %|
|Monthly Pass (Regular Price)||1,000.00 ₹||1,488.34 ₹||+48.83 %|
|Taxi Start (Normal Tariff)||100.00 ₹||73.35 ₹||-26.65 %|
|Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff)||15.00 ₹||17.54 ₹||+16.94 %|
|Petrol (1 liter)||77.51 ₹||50.04 ₹||-35.45 %|
|Rent Per Month|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre||13,406.25 ₹||21,346.99 ₹||+59.23 %|
|Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre||7,766.23 ₹||14,448.45 ₹||+86.04 %|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre||32,750.00 ₹||39,334.58 ₹||+20.11 %|
|Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre||18,365.85 ₹||25,290.52 ₹||+37.70 %|
|Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment||2,481.25 ₹||6,040.53 ₹||+143.45 %|
|1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans)||0.85 ₹||1.68 ₹||+98.28 %|
|Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL)||848.63 ₹||564.77 ₹||-33.45 %|
|Sports and Leisure|
|Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult||1,404.03 ₹||2,689.51 ₹||+91.56 %|
|Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend)||398.33 ₹||876.01 ₹||+119.92 %|
|Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat||200.00 ₹||372.08 ₹||+86.04 %|
|Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant||115.00 ₹||425.24 ₹||+269.77 %|
|Meal for 2 People, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course||1,000.00 ₹||2,126.19 ₹||+112.62 %|
|McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal)||250.00 ₹||239.20 ₹||-4.32 %|
|Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)||34.44 ₹||49.90 ₹||+44.90 %|
|Water (0.33 liter bottle)||15.13 ₹||24.62 ₹||+62.74 %|
Most common misconceptions of the students & parents about Russia
- Is Russia a complete communist country?
- No. Russia is a federal republic & currently not a communist country.
- Does Russia have only a Harsh climate?
- No. Russia has a very diverse climate, all the way from sub-tropic to sub-arctic, and from desert to coasts, therefore the climate depends on the city where you choose to study medicine in Russia.
- Does no one speak English even in the cities in Russia?
- Times have changed & many Russians speak English nowadays, compared to the 1990s.
- Are there No Universities that teach medicine in English medium in Russia?
- Many universities have been providing courses in English medium since 1996.
- Many universities offer a complete English medium course however some might provide bilingual courses.
- NB: This video from MSMU is not for the marketing purpose of the university & this video is used only for the purpose to show that there are universities providing Medial education in English.
The Beauty of Russia in 18 Minutes from the Youtube channel “One Man Wolf Pack”