- On the basis of handling the basic medical knowledge, it is a major task to know how to
diagnose, make a differential diagnosis and treat variant diseases.
- And the characteristic of this subject is to learn the indications and contraindications of
operation and how to deal with postoperative complications.
- To meet the teaching aim, the students should grasp the related contents in the subject and master the aseptic technique and basic operational skills.
- What’s more, you need to cultivate fine medical ethics and strive to serve the patients’ hearts and souls during clinical work.
- Multimedia lectures.
- Analysis and discussion of the typical case in class
- Visit in-patients and wards; demonstration of typical case and operation or videos
Teaching hours distribution
|Introduction to Surgery||1|
|Fluid Electrolyte and Acid-base Disorders||3||1|
|Antibiosis and Asepsis||2|
|Multi-Organ Dysfunction Syndrome||2||0.5|
|Surgical Intensive Care Unit||2|
|Burns and Frostbite||2|
|GIT + H&N + Breast & Vascular surgery
|Blunt Abdominal Injuries||2||0.5|
|Acute Suppurative Peritonitis||2||0.5|
|Stomach and Duodenum Diseases||6||1|
|Small Intestine Diseases||4||1|
|Colorectal and Anal Diseases||4||1|
|Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment of Alimentary Tract Bleeding||2|
|Diseases of the chest wall and pleura||1||0.5||1|
|Lung tumor and Benign pulmonary disease||4||1||2|
|General consideration of cardiac surgery||2||1||1|
|Congenital heart disease||2||1||1|
|Adult heart disease||4||2||2|
|Genitourinary Tract Trauma||2||1||2|
|Urinary Tract Infection||2||0||2|
|Urinary Stone Disease||2||1||1|
|Urinary and Genital Tumors||2||0||2|
|Physical examination of the musculoskeletal system||0||2||2|
|General consideration of fractures||2||1||0|
|Fracture and dislocation of the upper extremities||2||1||0.5|
|Fracture and articular injury lower extremities||2||0.5||0.5|
|Fractures in the spine (along with spinal cord injury)and pelvis||2||1||0.5|
|Peripheral nerve injury||2||0.5||0.5|
|Chronic injury of the musculoskeletal system||0||1||2|
|Degenerative diseases of the cervical and lumbar spine||2||1||0.5|
|Septic infection of bones and joints||2||1||0.5|
|Tuberculosis of bones and joints||2||1||0.5|
|Deformities of the musculoskeletal system||0||0||1|
Examination pattern & marks distribution
- Two theory examinations, 80%
- Performance in the class, 20%
Sample Exam Questions
- Textbook of Surgery, the Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice, 15th Edition, David C Sabiston, JR M.D. 1997, Philadephia
- Blood Transfusion in Clinical Medicine, PL Mollison, 1997, Hardbound
- Human Molecular Genetics, 2nd Edition, Tom Stachan, and Andrew P. Read. 2001. John Wiley & Sons PTE LTD.
- Understanding Medical Surgical Nursing, Burke, K.M., P. Lemone and E. Mohen-Brown, 2002, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
- Clinical nutrition: parenteral nutrition, 3rd Edition, John L. Rombeau, Rolando H. Rolandelli. 2001 .Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Alternatives to Regular Blood Transfusions, Farley Dixie, 1994, FDA Consumer.
- Daly,Principles of Surgery, 7th Edition, Schwartz, S.I., J.E. Fischer, F. C. Spencer, G.T. Shires, and J.M. 1998, New York: McGraw-Hill
- Clinical Surgery,2nd Edition, Grace, P.A., A. Cuschieri, D. Rowley, N. Borley, and A. Darzi, 2003, Londin
- Surgical Technology for the Surgical Technologist,Caruthers, B.L., and P. Price, 2001, Albany, NY: Delmar
- Practice of GeneralSurgery, Bland, K.I., W.G. Cioffi, and M.G. Sarr, 2001, Philadelphia: Saunders
- Sabiston.Sabiston’s Review of Surgery, 3rd Edition, Townsend, C., K.L. Mattox, R.D. Beauchamp, B.M. Evers, and D.C., 2001, Philadelphia: Saunders
- Maingot’s Abdominal Operation,10th Edition, Michael J. Zinner, M.D, 1997, Sta
- Surgery of the Chest, 6th Edition, John A. Waldhausen, William S. Pierce, David B. Campbell, Dan Beisel, Edna Hill, October 1995, Mosby Inc.
- Sabiston & Spencer Surgery of the Chest, 7th Edition, Frank Sellke, David C. Sabiston, Scott Swanson, Pedro J. del Nido, Frank Cole Spencer, September 2004, W B Saunders Co.
- General Thoracic Surgery, Thomas W. Shields, Thomas W. Shields, Joseph Locicero, Ronald B. Ponn, Valerie W. Rusch, August 2004. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Larry R. Kaiser, September 2005, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Campbell Urology,7th Edition, Jack W. McAninch, 1999
- Smith’sGeneral Urology,5th Edition, Emil A.Tanggho, 2005
- Orthopaedics, Edited by Robert H. Fitzgerald, Jr., Herbert Kaufer, Arthur L. Malkani, 2002, People’s Health Press
- Campbell’s Operative Orthopedics,10th Edition, Bruce Browner, Jesse Jupiter, Alan Levine, Peter Trafton, 2005, Elsevier Publishing INC
- Skeletal Trauma, 2nd Edition, S. Terry Canale, MD, Professor and Chairman, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Tennessee-Campbell Clinic, Chief of Pediatric Orthopedics, Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center, Memphis, TN, 1998, Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders Co
- Rockwood and Green’s Fractures in Adults, 4th Edition, Robert W Bucholz, James D Heckman, Charles Court-Brown, Paul Tornetta, Kenneth J Koval, 1996, Philadelphia: Sippincott-Raven.